Interested property owners should proceed as outlined below to obtain a Property Easement with Historic Fredericksburg Foundation, Inc. (HFFI)
- Complete the Easement Application form, including photographs to document the property and its historic elements. Submit the application to the Foundation for review and approval.
- Contact HFFI to schedule a site visit to tour and inspect the property, and discuss the specifics of the proposed easement covenant.
- If the owner plans to take the IRS income tax deduction for the value of the easement, a qualified appraiser is engaged to establish the easement’s value.
- The application is first reviewed by HFFI’s Real Estate Committee and, upon their recommendation, is voted on by the Foundation’s Board of Directors.
- Following the Board’s approval, a legal contract is drawn. HFFI can provide a standardized contract template, which can be customized to reflect the donor’s particular wishes. Donors should engage legal council to represent them in this step of the process.
- When the contract is signed and the processing fee received, it is recorded with the county.
If you have questions about any aspect of the Conservation Easement Program or to request an Easement Packet, please email HFFI at [email protected] or call 540-371-4504.