STOP #08

1300 College Avenue

This frame and stucco home with a slate roof was built in 1916 for D. Jackson Boulware a local businessman. Boulware and his father operated a grain and feed store, an automobile tire store, and finally were agents for Overland touring cars. Later the home was owned by Earl D. Gould who owned a dairy in Spotsylvania. Mr. Gould used the “automobile house” (garage) for processing dairy products. In 1944 Mary Washing College (now University of Mary Washington) purchased the property and used it for the Spanish house, a student residence and later the alumnae headquarters. It was called “Spottswood” in honor of a colonial governor of Virginia. Needing funds for a tennis center, the College sold the property and once again it became a private residence. The architectural style is Dutch Colonial Revival.

Citation:  HFFI Marker Map Online, (accessed December 2022).

Sponsored by:

Terrie & David James