1200 Princess Anne Street
Rebecca Lomax had this two-story brick home built in 1824. She and her unmarried sisters, Catherine and Ellen, lived in the house for 32 years. Thomas Fitzhugh Knox, Jr., businessman and mill owner, purchased the house from the Lomax estate in 1856. The Knox family owned the house until 1911. Thomas Knox stayed with his house during the Civil War, repairing it several times. His wife and two daughters took refuge in Richmond and Danville. All six sons joined the Confederate army, and all survived. After the war, the Knox men returned to Fredericksburg. Robert and James rebuilt businesses and became community leaders; Louis opened a grocery; Alex died, possibly of a wound sustained in one of the last battles; Sam went to Cedar Rapids, Iowa; and Tom settled in Brooklyn, New York. After the Knoxes, the home became an inn, now temporarily closed. Before the pandemic, the Kenmore Inn was an elegant bed and breakfast with a dining room and tap room in the basement.