1114 Charles Street
Here is the Betty Washington Inn, a 1920s-era name when it was a tourist home for out-of-town motorists. Betty Washington Lewis did not live here. Actually, the dwelling was built in the late 18th century and initially was a single-story, frame house. After 1785, a physician, George French, lived here with his family for nearly 60 years. Two owners later, in about 1850, the house as you see it today was expanded by 30-year-old lawyer, William H. Fitzhugh, Jr. He nearly doubled the size of the house, which includes five gable-roofed dormers (three on front, two on rear). The Greek Revival style—was all the rage at the time—is seen in the symmetrical five-bay façade. The main doorway breaks up the wall plane with a flat-roofed porch that is supported by fluted wood columns with Ionic order capitals. We are fortunate to see the house undergoing in-kind siding replacement. Exposed brick nogging (used for stability and insulation) and wood framing provide a rare glimpse into construction techniques from an earlier time.